Thursday, October 09, 2014

An encounter with Simba

A crisp morning. We all wake up early with an anticipation of catching the last African sunrise and possibly spotting some Savannah natives at their breakfast..


Eastern sky is beaming gold and hot air balloons start floating above the horizon. Their golden hue silhouettes against lone standing acacia trees make a good picture, I thought.


Van sets in motion. After spotting some usual suspects, we see a bunch safari vans gathered on east side. It's quite apparent there is something big there. "What's it?" I ask hesitantly; because I think I knew the answer.


As we approach the party, through the crowd emerges the self proclaimed king of the jungle, walking with a royal poise, paying least amount of attention to the visitors around and focusing more on savouring his morning breakfast. He's got his brother for the company.


Few minutes pass. Jakals, Hynes and vultures compete for the last morsel in his plate. At a distance, a herd of thousand wildebeest has just crossed the stream and is quite bewildered to see the dark maned duo waiting for them. The brothers seem like they need a second serving. As they try to sneakily move towards the herd, the safari vans move too, almost like their entourage. Wildebeest get the cue, and run for their life as far as possible. The vans give away their position like fumbling soldiers misfiring without warning in an ambush.

Lions give up on wildebeest, if not just temporarily. They head to the water streams. Take a sip, look up, look around and relax in the sun.

Suddenly one of them decides to walk towards us. Driver realizes the intentions and gas paddle pushes the car few feet forward. Acknowledging the respect, lion walks casually past our Van. We are busy taking pictures and for a second, I wonder - what would happen if he decides to change his tracks and jump onto the van. I am holding my breath, I realize.

I sigh as he moves away about fifteen-twenty feet. I look at my friends and find them slowly relaxing back to casual stance as before.

I look back at the horizon. The balloons are still floating in the air. The sun is up, away from horizon and acacia trees still stand in their silhouettes. 

It all looks the same outside, but something has changed inside..

Savannah sunrise


King Vs robot

Band of brothers

Staring contest

You talking to me?! 
Sun salute

Water break

Get out of my way!


No comments:

Quote of the day