Saturday, March 10, 2012

80/20 principle

I am one of those idiots who try to find pattern in everything around me. I make up some rules from observed patterns and try to live by them only to realize that 'every rule has an exception'. (Can this rule have exception as well? :P)

Anyways, here is something I have read or watched and am convinced about these days. 80% of the things in your life are driven by 20% of your actions. Believe me. 80% of your happiness comes from select 20% percent activities that you choose to devote your time or not. Of course this 20% varies for everybody, but sooner you identify that 20%, closer you will be to most of your happiness.

Let's take an example. Here's what makes me most happy.

  • Cracking that problem that has been bothering or annoying me for many days.

  • Learning something new about my work everyday.

  • Being there for somebody I deeply care and love.

  • Reading that awesome book that I always wanted to.

  • Keeping my mind and body fresh by some sort of exercise or travel to some place new and different.

  • Working on something cool or with somebody who shares some common interests.


I have realized that when I am not focusing on this 20%, I am mostly miserable. This is because the other 80% stuff takes too much of my energy and might or might not make me 20% happy.

You do not believe me? Alright, one more example. Let us say you are taking some exam. You have to realize that 20% of the exam syllabus will contribute to 60-80% of your grades (How do you think I managed to do reasonably well in school, despite slacking of till the very end? :P). The key is to identify that 20% soon and focus your time and energy.

Scientifically this principle is referred to as Pareto Principle.[1] Some more examples of this are as follows[2]:

  • 80% of your profits come from 20% of your customers

  • 80% of your complaints come from 20% of your customers

  • 80% of your profits come from 20% of the time you spend

  • 80% of your sales come from 20% of your products

  • 80% of your sales are made by 20% of your sales staff



Or graphically,



So Bacha, find that 20% now and be 80% happy.*




Sources:
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle
[2] http://cartikvyas.blogspot.com/2009/07/living-life-8020-way.html
* Disclaimer: Author is not liable if you are focusing on that 20% of your life, and not becoming 80% happy. It just means you haven't found your 20% yet :P

No comments:

Quote of the day